The Best Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes with Fudgy Chocolate Buttercream.
The BEST chocolate birthday cupcakes…with fudgy chocolate buttercream!
This is the perfect Friday recipe, right?! Even if it’s not your birthday, we can certainly pretend, because trust me everyone needs a cupcake today. Yep, I’m just feeling like the world could use one or two. Now, I know cupcakes can’t really solve all the problems of the world. But you gotta admit, there’s something pretty wonderful about sitting down with a delicious chocolate buttercream cupcake that seems to melt away the problems of the world…if only temporarily.
As a lot of you already know, my adored little sister, Asher, celebrated a birthday this week. And as is tradition, every year I make a recipe for the blog that is birthday inspired. After all, she is my favorite (and only) little sister.
Second Year: Magic Gooey Chocolate Meringue Texas Sheet Cake
Are you seeing a pattern? Lots and lots of chocolate, Asher’s favorite. Last year’s vanilla birthday cake was a pretty big stretch for me, but I was able to convince her with the whipped chocolate buttercream. She actually ended up loving that cake…and realizing that maybe, just maybe, there might be a few great non-chocolate desserts out there too.
Anyway, in previous years I’ve surprised Asher with a new cake recipe. But I’m going to be honest, most of the time she just ends up asking me to make her a regular chocolate cake. So this year I decided, instead of surprising her with one of my over-the-top cake creations, I would just ask the girl what she wanted.
To be expected she said chocolate cake, but this year she wanted the cake in the form of cupcakes! For some reason, Asher is really having a moment with cupcakes. Can you blame her though? Cupcakes are cute, hand-held, and an all around fun and delicious dessert.
Plus, I personally think cupcakes are small enough that it’s totally acceptable to go back for a second. Obviously.
It’s not very often that I do a super classic recipe like these cupcakes. But every once in a while I like to throw a classic into the mix, because sometimes, you really just cannot beat the classics.
And let’s be real, everyone needs a good chocolate cupcake recipe in their back pocket. It’s kind of a must.
The best part? These Best Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes are SO easy.
I’m talking ONE bowl for the cupcake batter, and ONE bowl for the buttercream. Honestly, these are so simple that the thought of running to the store for a box mix will not even cross your mind. And trust me, these cupcakes are million and one times better than anything out of a box.
The cake itself is incredibly soft, moist, and extra fudgy, with just the right amount of chocolate flavor, and the perfect amount of crumb. As the title states, these cupcakes are the BEST! I know, kind of bold, but these cupcakes have been made one hundred times over now, and they really just cannot be beat.
My little secret to making these cupcakes extra delicious? A couple of handfuls of mini chocolate chips stirred right into the batter.
And the frosting? Oh, the frosting, it’s basically chocolate buttercream heaven, and the only real way to truly complete these cupcakes.
Also, I feel as though I should mention that everyone I make these cupcakes for likes the ratio of cake to buttercream to be close to one to one. This means my buttercream recipe makes a lot of frosting. I’d say you could downsize the recipe a bit, but then really, would you really want to do that?
I’m thinking not.
While we might not all be celebrating a birthday this week, we are heading into a long holiday weekend. Therefore, I could not think of a better recipe to send you guys off with than these chocolate cupcakes.
Perfect for any and all Labor Day activities!
Lastly, if you make The Best Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
The Best Chocolate Birthday Cupcakes...with Fudgy Buttercream
Keyword: buttercream topping, celebration cake, chocolate cup cakes
Possibly the best chocolate cupcake ever!
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup hot black coffee
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk, greek yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix until there are no longer any clumps of flour. Add the hot coffee and mix until combined. The batter should be pourable, but not super thin. Stir in the chocolate chips, if using.
3. Pour the batter among the muffin tins and bake 15-18 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely before frosting.
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and powdered sugar until the butter is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the cocoa powder and vanilla and beat, scraping down the sides as needed another 2 minutes or until there are no streaks of white. Add 3 tablespoons of the heavy cream and whip the frosting for 2-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. If desired add the remaining tablespoon of the heavy cream. Taste the frosting and add more powdered sugar if you like a sweeter or thicker frosting.
2. Frost each cupcake as desired. The cupcakes will keep for 3-4 days in the fridge, bring to room temp before eating.