Mini Brown Butter Popovers with Jammy Strawberries.
Welcoming the weekend with fresh baked Mini Brown Butter Popovers with Jammy Strawberries. Better known as simple melt-in-your-mouth popovers. These popovers are roll your eyes back GOOD! Serve them warm right out of the oven, dipped in nutty browned butter, and rolled through lemony sugar. Like a doughnut…but better. Top each warm popover with a pat of salted butter and extra sweet and jammy strawberries. Perfect for all of the spring weekends ahead.
Happy weekend you guys!! Spring is here and like clockwork, I’m back making popovers. I don’t know why it is, but for whatever reason, I always think to make popovers in the spring. Last year I made cinnamon sugar popovers and this year?
A much, much more springy version with sweet spring strawberries!
Honestly, I wasn’t even going to share these with you guys, but they ended up being soo good. Almost like a doughnut…but better, because they’re not fried so you can actually taste those strawberries.
I feel like you know the story, but popovers are one of the very first things I learned to bake. It was the Thanksgiving of our first year here in Colorado. I was in eighth grade, and I put myself in charge of Thanksgiving dinner. I had all of my family’s favorites on the menu, and then a few fun items, like popovers. I’d never made popovers before, but the photo online looked perfect…
So I tried, and now, to this day, I use that very same base recipe. It’s the best, you get perfect airy popovers every time!
Here’s how to make these very best (mini) popovers.
The first step, position an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Now add a pat of butter to each muffin cup and then place the pan in the oven to preheat. Heating the pan ensures the popovers will pop in the oven. For these popovers, I went with a mini size so they’re a delicious two-bite experience.
OK, next, mix up the batter, which is a basic mix of milk, flour, and eggs. BUT it’s made special with a splash of vanilla extract. Add the batter to the hot popover pan and bake. About twenty minutes later you’ll have the cutest mini popovers. And yes, your kitchen will smell amazing.
These popovers are GOOD. Think light and airy, but extra buttery, and with just the right amount of vanilla.
The brown butter + lemon sugar…
Both very much needed ingredients to complete these popovers.
Take a good amount of butter and brown it on the stove. It’s warming, it’s nutty, and it truly makes every food it touches better. While that’s happening mix a bit of sugar with some lemon zest, and if you have it, vanilla bean powder too.
And lastly, the berries. Oh, the berries! The berries are so very special.
They’re tossed with St. Germain (which is elderflower liquor) and a couple of tablespoons of strawberry jam to make them extra sweet and jammy. You guys, I love jam. More specifically, I love mixing jam with fresh berries, it’s the flavors and the texture. Jam is sweeter, jammier, and more concentrated. Berries are juicy and fresh. Both are good on their own, but so much better together.
If you want to make them even jammier, warm the mix on the stove for a few minutes before serving. That would be great!
Now, take the browned butter and brush it over the warm popovers. Next, take the popover and dip it through the lemon sugar. Top each mini popover with a small pat of butter and those jammy berries…
So you see? Melt in your mouth GOOD. That tiny sliver of butter, while not needed, is delicious. It melts into the popover with the jam and creates the most roll your eyes back kind of delicious popover. I know I’m being so dramatic, but it’s all true.
Serve them for weekend brunch, then save the leftovers as a weekday on-the-go breakfast/treats/snacks. Or work them into your upcoming Mother’s Day menus.
You can’t go wrong with these cute little popovers!
Looking for other spring brunch recipes? Here are some of my favorites:
Lastly, if you make these Mini Brown Butter Popovers with Jammy Strawberries be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Mini Brown Butter Popovers with Jammy Strawberries
Top each warm popover with a pat of butter and sweet jammy strawberries...better than a doughnut!
- 14 teaspoons plus, 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (optional)
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Place 1 teaspoon of butter in each cup of a 12 cup standard muffin pan. Transfer the pan to the oven 3-5 minutes before baking to melt the butter and heat the pan.
3. In a medium bowl, vigorously whisk together the milk and eggs until frothy, about 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon melted butter, vanilla, flour, and salt. Whisk to combine. It's OK if there are small lumps.
4. Carefully remove the pan from the oven and swirl the butter around the cups to grease the pan. Evenly divide the batter between the popover cups, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Transfer to the oven and bake 15-18 minutes, until puffed, golden, and crisp.
5. To make the brown butter. Add 4 tablespoons butter to a skillet set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown until it smells toasted and is a deep golden color, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
6. Combine the sugar, lemon zest, and vanilla powder in a shallow bowl.
7. To make the strawberries. Toss all ingredients together. Let sit 5-10 minutes.
8. Brush each warm popover with browned butter, then roll through the lemon sugar. Smear each popover with butter and top with strawberries. Eat warm!
Our Favorite Recipes
Orange Hibiscus Mai Tai.