Cherry Strawberry Streusel Cake.
The prettiest and most delicious Cherry Strawberry Streusel Cake. A buttery, moist, light and airy cardamon infused cake with a generous layer of sweet summer cherries and strawberries, with an extra crumbly, cinnamon sugar streusel baked on top. It’s the easiest summer cake that’s perfect any time of the day…brunch, afternoon snack, or after dinner dessert. Just be sure to serve with ice cream for the perfect bite of cake.
I’ve said this before, but Friday deserves cake. Especially Fridays in July. There’s just too much summer fruit at our fingertips to not make a delicious cake. At least that’s my thinking, but you all know I love a good cake.
Surprisingly this is not a layer cake, but instead a sheet cake. And even though I adore a good layer cake, I’m pretty excited about this simpler fruit-filled cake. It’s a little bit easier, but still super pretty, and so good. This is the cake to make on a Friday…easy enough to make after work, and best to enjoy while still warm…ish with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Because it’s summer, and a cake like this should always have a scoop of ice cream.
So that’s pretty much what I plan on doing today. After being away for a week, then catching up on computer work for most of yesterday, I’m 100% ready to get back into the kitchen and bake this cake. Maybe I’ll even video the steps for you all and share on Instagram stories? Sounds like a plan to me, so keep an eye out for that sometime today.
I am not exaggerating when I say I really love this cake. Usually layer cakes are more my style, but there is a time and a place for a simple sheet cake too. We all need a few good sheet cake recipes in our back pockets to use for quick “emergency” desserts.
This is that cake…all done up for summer time.
The cake batter itself is pretty basic, but then it’s not. It has all the usuals like flour, sugar, butter, milk, eggs, etc. The difference is the infusion of warming cardamon and bourbon. In my head, the thought of cardamon + bourbon sounded delicious. Especially when mixed with the sweet, ruby-red July cherries that are currently stocked at the grocery store and farmers markets. The cardamom and bourbon compliment the flavors of the cherries. They add an unexpected richness and warmth to the cake that’s so nice.
I also browned the butter. While I think this adds an incredible nutty flavor, you don’t have to do this step. If you’re short on time or just don’t feel like messing up the stove simply skip this step. I get it, sometimes the thought an extra step is just a little too much. The cake will be beyond delicious either way.
I layered the cherries on top of the batter along with strawberries for additional sweetness. The fruit sinks into the cake creating the perfect cherry-strawberry filled cake with every bite. I also just thought it was really pretty…
Once the fruit has been added, the streusel goes right over top. It’s extra buttery, cinnamony, and pretty much the best addition to your summer sheet cake experience. Trust me.
If you want the cherries and strawberries to be more visible throughout the cake, sprinkle the streusel around them instead of over top.
And then just bake. In about 45 minutes your kitchen will smell amazing and you’ll have a very pretty cherry and strawberry filled cake.
It’s moist, buttery, filled with fruit, and the streusel on top makes every bite mouthwatering. Warning you now that it’s hard to stop with just one piece, every bite makes you want another…SO GOOD.
Thinking you should probably make this up as soon as possible.
This is great for baking any day of the week, but it feels extra special on a Friday. Bake this up for dessert tonight. Or maybe just sometime this weekend…after hitting up your local farmers market for fresh cherries and strawberries. So good!
If you make this Cherry Strawberry Streusel Cake be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love to hear from you guys and always do my best to respond to each and every comment. And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Cherry Strawberry Streusel Cake
A buttery, moist, light and airy cardamon infused cake with a generous layer of sweet summer cherries and strawberries, plus an extra crumbly, cinnamon sugar streusel baked on top.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) salted butter, melted
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup sweet cherries, pitted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cardamom, and brown sugar. Add the butter, milk, eggs, bourbon (if using), and vanilla, mix until just combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the cherries and strawberries over the batter, pressing the fruit gently into the batter.
3. To make the crumble. Whisk together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Add the butter and mix with your hands until the mix is moist and a crumble forms. Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the fruit.
4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden on top. If you insert a skewer into the center, it should come out almost clean. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temp. If desired, dust with powdered sugar. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Our Favorite Recipes
Buttery Raspberry Crumble Bars.